jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: Checking values of properties more thoroughly
Date Sun, 16 Jul 2017 14:10:25 GMT
Am 16.07.2017 um 15:59 schrieb Vladimir Sitnikov:
> Emilian>The reason being that I expect getPropDefault to already return a
> valid value or *my* default which I also know it's valid.
>
> +1
>

> Emilian>A solution would be to validate the whole configuration file at
> start up.
>
> There always might be "runtime validations", so we can't rely on "validate
> everything at startup time".
>
> JMeter has lots of features and lots of options. Should it warn user if
> some unused feature is misconfigured?
>
> Alternative (additional) option is to define properties via  some
> class-interface like entities.
> That is tie validator to the property, and not to the call site.
Something like find all classes with interface
PropertyValidatorInitializer (or something like that) and run them on
startup. These classes could register (in a central registry) validators
for property names.

Than getPropDefault (or other getProp-variants) could ask the central
registry to validate the values and even give specific error messages on
failure.

> Note: "string -> whatever" conversion might need to use original string
> value in order to make error message clear.
>
> Do you think error messages should be localizable?
Might be nice, so I think it would definitely be a plus.
> Do you think error messages should refer to the relevant documentation
> sections and/or provide corrective actions?
Would be nice, too.

Felix