jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMeter version numbering
Date Mon, 29 May 2017 21:38:27 GMT
On 29 May 2017 at 21:57, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I wonder if our versioning strategy is correct if we are supposed to follow
> :
>
>    - http://semver.org/

No, we do not have to follow that.
[AFAIK, it was not even in existence when JMeter started]

It's up to individual projects to agree on what to versioning strategy to use.

Semantic versioning may or may not be suitable.

But I agree the versioning strategy needs to be documented.

> For example, 3.1 and 3.2 should maybe have been named 4.0.0 and 5.0.0
> because they both broke backward compatibility by deprecating/removing
> elements.

Possibly.

> Besides, in terms of communication, they were not minor at all.
> Maybe it's time to change this as if you have noticed it, I have read
> things like:
>
>    - This is the first major version of JMeter in over 12 years
>
> Which is kind of non sense for me knowing all the features that have been
> introduced in 2.X "minor" versions.

Yes, it is nonsense.

Note that major version bumps may be seen by some as negative.
There are lots of projects where a major bump always means
incompatible changes, with changes required to use them.

The project should not base its versioning strategy on what 3rd parties write.
It needs to decide the strategy independently, document it carefully,
and ensure it is adhered to going forward.