jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release a 3.2
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2017 23:23:33 GMT
On 28 February 2017 at 23:15, Philippe Mouawad
<philippe.mouawad@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 28, 2017, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 28 February 2017 at 22:40, Philippe Mouawad
>> <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:

>> full

>> > I think this is pretty easy to find on internet knowing we use log4j2 and
>> > slf4j.
>> > But if you think we should add some doc, feel free to do it.
>>
>> Sorry, but that is not good enough.
>> I did not want the hassle of changing the logging. You did want the change.
>

> It was an agreement from team. Not only me.

You were the prime mover.

> It's Apache way and boyscout rule :),  it's not enough feel free to improve
> it.
> Search engine results seem good enough for me:
> https://lite.qwant.com/?q=log4j2%20configure%20log
>

>> The change was agreed to on the basis that updated documentation was
>> essential.
>>
>> There do not need to be reams of docs, but there should be at least
>> couple of sentences as to how to configure the logging that will be
>> readily understandable to someone used to the old ways.
>

> What is the best place for it in your opinion ?

In the user manual (getting started has some references to logging)
with a link from jmeter.properties.

Also needs details in changes.xml for the plugin writers.
Where appropriate that can also point to the user manual.

> I am not saying I'll write it though, as I have contributed already
> important time on this.

Someone has to do it.
If it's not done, then the release should not go ahead.

I did say at the outset that changing logging was going to be a lot of work.

>> And plugin writers need to be told how to update their plugins.

>> > I have removed them.
>> > Let me know if I still missed something
>>
>> I don't know if there is anything else.
>> I just happened to notice that reference.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing that
>

>> >  Thanks

GET