jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GUI Mode : OOM Protection for View Results Tree or View Results in Table
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2017 19:50:08 GMT
Hello,
Despite all the work we've done these last years to warn users about not
using JMeter in GUI mode with load testing, it appears this mode continues
to hurt JMeter's stability reputation.

For example, you can see in this 2016 comparison of tools some highlights:
http://okt.to/6aA0hS

We're among the best but I am personally fed up of still reading those
reviews that mention freezes of GUI under load.

We discussed previously about finding a solution to it but didn't implement
anything yet.
Maybe it's time to tackle and kill this subject.

I add one proposal:

   - By default have a property that limits the number of Threads that can
   run in GUI mode. We could dynamically based on number of Cores and size of
   Heap compute a max value. Then during the building of Tree for test with a
   TreeCloner, JMeter would either :
      - refuse to launch test plan and popup a warn to user telling him to
      either reduce number of VUs or run in Non GUI mode.
      -  block number of VU to the max.
   - Users could switch off this by settings the property  that would be
   explained in popup.

Other thoughts ?

Thanks

Regards