jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Milamber <milam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2016 09:54:38 GMT

JMeter 3.0 is the first release which drop the Java 6 support. The
history of JMeter releases show that the drop of old java version is
long (several year after the end of life)

Drop the Java 7 support for the 3.1 or 3.2 seems not follow the same
strategy that the past.

Perhaps, we need to think about 2 branches:
* branch 3.0.x, a sort of LTS release with Java 7 support (back-porting
some bug patches from the 4.x branch to this branch)
* branch 4.x with the last supported Java version, latest frameworks and
innovation.

Have 2 living branches need more work for the committers. But I think
it's a good compromise between the reliability of JMeter and bring
innovation inside JMeter.