jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Roadmap 2016/2017
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2016 18:08:50 GMT
>I think step 1 is a DSL which can be read by JMeter

1) In my point of view, "read only DSL" does not work.
There should be a way to generate that DSL.

Then the question comes to: "should that DSL be the master source of the
script"?

Suppose Kotlin is chosen for DSL language. What should JMeter do if it
finds "for" loops in the jmx script?
Of course it could read it somehow, but it would be way harder to write the
same script with all those "for"s/"if"s from UI.

JFY: TeamCity 10 introduced Kotlin-based DSL for build scripts:
https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/TCD10/What%27s+New+in+TeamCity+10.0#What'sNewinTeamCity10.0-DSLforTeamCityProjectConfiguration

Frankly speaking, I've no idea how TeamCity plays with "for" kind of
elements in the build script.

2) Take "HTTP Sampler" as an example. How would you express that in DSL? It
could easily span several screens, so it would be hard to create manually
=> it would not be practical to "write that manually".

3) DSL approach seemed to work well for Jenkins, however it is rather hard
to keep "DSL language" and plugins in sync. The DSL will become
plugin-version specific, etc, etc.

Vladimir