jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ReportGenerator properties
Date Fri, 06 May 2016 12:44:06 GMT
On 6 May 2016 at 13:31, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, May 6, 2016, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I should have noticed this before, but I did not, so sorry for
>> bringing it up now.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> jmeter.properties contains 40 enabled properties for ReportGenerator
>> plus some additional ones that are commented out.
>>
>> This means that over half the total number of entries in the file are
>> for ReportGenerator.
>>
> There are much more entries in file than 80.

$ grep -v "^#" jmeter.properties | grep -v "^\s*$" | wc -l

73

>> That does not seem right.
>>

>> user.properties contains 8 commented references to ReportGenerator.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, about half of the properties are report titles,
>>

> If you're talking about user.properties, only 1 relates to a Title and is
> specific to each Load Test (not even script).

No, I'm primarily referring to jmeter.properties.

> If you're talking about the .title ones, then yes they could be in
> messages.properties, but read below for the reason they are not.
>

>> so belong in messages.properties anyway.
>

>> Most of the remaining ones look like values that belong elsewhere.
>>
>> jmeter.properties is supposed to be for rarely changed configuration
>> items, debug etc.
>
> The majority of properties are here for IOC of components.
> When report was created, we aimed at making it extensible.
> Dependencies are injected and reports are declared through properties and
> properties are injected.
> That's why title is not in messages.properties.

What are non-English speaker supposed to do?

If they change jmeter.properties they will have to do so for every release.

jmeter.properties is supposed to be largely immutable.

> We didn't want to introduce an additional configuration file for IOC,
> ideally we would have liked to use something like Spring IOC but didn't
> want to introduce it to avoid too many additional dependencies.
>
> For the properties you mention, they are in fact not aimed to be changed by
> regular users.

So why are they defined in jmeter.properties?
They should be defaulted.

> Except for the 8 that are in user.properties, you will generally change:
> - Apdex values
> - report_title
> - granularity
> - series_filter

Will these need to be changed for each test?