jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3rd party jars - current and proposed
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2016 19:33:24 GMT
On Friday, April 8, 2016, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are currently 3 properties which can be used to augment the
> standard library directories
> (lib, lib/ext, lib/junit)
>
> A) search_paths
> B) user.classpath
> C) plugin_dependency_paths
>
> Directories listed in A or B are added to the internal loader *and* to
> the system property "java.class.path".
>
> Directories listed in C are only added to the internal classloader.
>
> The difference between A and B is that A is used to find plugins that
> are added to the GUI so they can be used in test plans.
>
> This is a very flexible arrangement, because the directories can be
> anywhere, for example a shared folder outside the JMeter installation
> tree.

there is limitations with those approach, these properties do not work
correctly with relative paths so from one version to the other you need to
update the user.properties.
This could be enhanced.

> A recent proposal would add a fixed directory name under lib/3rdparty.
> It and all its subdirectories would be added to the classloader and
> classpath.

The idea was interesting because it makes things rather simple.
The folder has an explicit name.

> That can of course be made to work.
> However it is not nearly as flexible as the properties currently allow.

Flexibility is good, ease of use is also good

> It does not allow for support jars that should not be added to the
> java classpath
> It does not readily allow for shared directories outside the JMeter
> directory tree.

it's not its intent.
I think that the same issue can occur with the other properties

> As far as I can tell, the only benefit is that the entire directory
> subtree is added, not just the initial directory. But there are other
> ways of achieving that.

It appears the idea was appreciated by some 3rd party developers so it
should not be thrown away like this.
I think (as a user of the 3 properties) that they are not that easy to use
for newbies. I myself always have to read again the docs to remember which
separator to use and which property.
some are better for lib dependencies some are better for plugins.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.