jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Lloyd <oliver_ll...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Best location to download jmeter from using an unattended script?
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2016 16:56:24 GMT
Umm, well yes, that's true, I am asking you to distribute the binaries, but you know, to be
fair, it is your project, plus you already do host them using archive.apache.org <http://archive.apache.org/>,
it's just slow.

I'm a bit confused why you would expect me to host them instead of you. I'm also a bit confused
how I managed to offend you there, I really wasn't trying to upset anyone, just asking for
help.

> On 4 Apr 2016, at 17:36, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 4 April 2016 at 17:29, Oliver Lloyd <oliver_lloyd@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Why do you want to use the older versions?
>>
>> It's not so much that i want to use older versions. The problem is if you don't let
people specify the version then they will get whatever is either: a) current or b) I give
them. In both cases whenever these things change then next time the script is run (when they
next test) then they will suddenly have a different version of jmeter which could, conceivably,
result in different results or even problems running their scripts.

> That should not be a problem if you host the binaries.
>
>>> Why will it break?
>>
>> If I host the binary files myself then the risk is a new version of jmeter will be
released that is not available in my repo (because I haven't copied it over) which will mean
the script, in its current form, would fail were someone to specify the new version. Sure,
I could check for a 404 response and return a useful message but this really starts to over
complicate things and is quite a step backwards. Plus I'd essentially be managing my own distribution
server for jmeter which I'd rather not do.

> Sorry to be so blunt, but instead you are effectively asking someone
> else to manage the distributions server ..
>
>> Bintray does seem to be made for exactly this problem. It's also free for open source;
do you think it is possible to set something up?

> This is completely out of scope for the JMeter project.

"preferred" | cut -d ':' -f3 | cut -d'/' -f3)

>>> No need, the URL I gave is equivalent.

>>> Yes, that is intentional.

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> or www.apache.org <http://www.apache.org/>.
>>>
>>> Huh? No.

keep ending coming back to using them.

>>> Why will it break?
>>>
>>> And why do you want to use the older versions?

used but that would mean an uncontrolled upgrade for everyone each time a release is made,
which isn't correct.