jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From "Epp, Jeremiah W (Contractor)" <j...@cas.org>
Subject RE: Proposal for some changes in Menus
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:40:43 GMT

Is the issue really that bad?

> I think having features that "partially work" in JMeter is not good for the
> product reputation.

It's far better to have something janky that users might have a chance of finding when they
need it.

And "need" isn't an exaggeration: Just yesterday, I was helping a colleague debug something
with JMeter and the font rendering was so bad, it was basically unreadable; we couldn't even
distinguish between lower- and upper-case "i" until I switched LAF to something else.

...granted, X forwarding to a Windows workstation isn't a COMMON scenario, but it was a real
problem that I would NOT have solved if I had to dig into a config file and change some option
that may or may not even be documented then restart the application.

> You will still be able to through properties.

Please, no, properties seriously suck.  They're about as opaque as you can possibly get for
configuring a GUI application.  They're basically a non-mechanism from a user standpoint.

This isn't to say it's not a problem-- I kept having to change the LAF when we went to a different
sampler yesterday, because it doesn't update everything, so I know the problems you mentioned
and they really don't lend a polished feel to the option.

It's just, burying things in properties is a sure way to ensure the options never even get
used at all.

Regards,
Wyatt

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic message transmission, including any attachment(s),
may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information from Chemical Abstracts Service
("CAS"), a division of the American Chemical Society ("ACS"). If you have received this transmission
in error, be advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited. Please destroy all copies of the message and contact
the sender immediately by either replying to this message or calling 614-447-3600.