jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From "Epp, Jeremiah W (Contractor)" <j...@cas.org>
Subject RE: Proposal for some changes in Menus
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2016 21:11:08 GMT

I was thinking more about the actual bug that causes the deferred/partial update of the UI.
 That is, are you sure it would be a major time sink that touches a lot of code?  Or could
it be a relatively simple fix?  (I could see it going either way depending on how it's all
set up, but I haven't looked at all.)

>> It's far better to have something janky that users might have a chance of
>> finding when they need it.
>>
> I think a bug in a feature does not help reputation of a product.

More than the apparent lack of the feature? ;)

>> Please, no, properties seriously suck.  They're about as opaque as you can
>> possibly get for configuring a GUI application.  They're basically a
>> non-mechanism from a user standpoint.
>>
> They will soon be fully documented.

How will that be exposed/communicated to users, though?  That's possibly even more important.

Most users have the mindset that nothing can change and they suffer through whatever the defaults
are.  It's much worse when the option is all but invisible.

> But I agree properties are not optimal

I think the biggest issue they have is that you can't actually set them from within the application
itself.  Even if it's an option that "(Requires Restart)", that's something people understand.

> Happy to know I am not the only user to face it.
> In the future, please report any issue you face don't live with it .

Yeah, I figured it was already known (or maybe fixed seeing as we're in the 3.0 RC phase)
and there was a lot of other stuff going on.  I'll try to get some time set aside for reporting
a bunch of bugs, though.

>> It's just, burying things in properties is a sure way to ensure the
>> options never even get used at all.
>>
> What do you think about my proposal to at least display a popup message to
> tell user to restart JMeter ?

Yeah, a warning that things might be weird until they restart would be a good call.

Regards,
Wyatt

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic message transmission, including any attachment(s),
may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information from Chemical Abstracts Service
("CAS"), a division of the American Chemical Society ("ACS"). If you have received this transmission
in error, be advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited. Please destroy all copies of the message and contact
the sender immediately by either replying to this message or calling 614-447-3600.