jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject doc for jdbc pool configuration
Date Sat, 02 Jan 2016 15:38:11 GMT
Hi all,

in our documentation there is one section about the sizing of the pool,
which I like to discuss:

"If you really want to use shared pooling (why?), then set the max count
to the same as the number of threads to ensure threads don't wait on
each other."

First: I think pooling is a valid option even for user-centric
scenarios. Think about simulating the sql requests of an application
server. In such a case a pool would have been used, so why not when
simulating it?

So for this part, I question the part "...(why?)..." and the "really" in
front of it.

Second: When a pool is used (at least the dbcp2 pool) the connections
seem to be stored in a stack like construct. So in a uncontended load
situation the pool will use only a fraction of the configured size and
in a contended situation with really many threads it will probably
overload the db.

So all in all I would rather change the sentence to something like "If
you want to use shared pooling, then set the max count to something
sensible".

Regards,
  Felix