jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Ease setup for new comers wishing to contribute
Date Sat, 05 Dec 2015 09:25:01 GMT
Hello,
I open this thread to discuss what could be done to favor new comers
contributions and increase patches contributions.

After discussion with colleagues that came recently on project with a
"Standard project" background, the following ideas came:

   - Ease IDE Setup (see below for details)
   - Change http://jmeter.apache.org/svnindex.html to mention GITHUB mirror
   , the link would be renamed to Source Repositories
   - Add fork us on Github on project if acceptable by Apache policy
   - Create a Developers page similar to
   http://cloudstack.apache.org/developers.html, explaining how to
   contribute a PR
   - Find an alternative to Ant

Ease IDE Setup:
Regarding IDE Setup and particularly Eclipse:
1/ As we don't have Maven (mvn eclipse:eclipse) setting up Dev Environment
for new comers is not a nowadays "standard".
Maybe Graddle could be an alternative (Maven having been set aside in a
previous dev discussion), it allows providing Eclipse Project Model, is
used by big projects like Spring Frameworks and seems to be very flexible ,
using Groovy

2/ If we decide to stay on Ant, we should have an HTML page instead of
eclipse.readme which can easily be missed.
The page should be enhanced to mention requirements like Java 7 and
Compiler compliance level....
3/ Running JUnit tests should also be documented, particularly running them
directly from IDE

4/ If we stay with Ant, why not also distribute eclipse.project so that we
could create an ant task that:
a) renames eclipse.classpath to .classpath
b) renames eclipse.project to .project
c) Call  download_jars ,
This way project could be imported in Eclipse much more easily and less
manually

Regards
Philippe M.