jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dropping LogKit in favor of Apache Log4J2 or SLF4J+ Logback or Commons-Logging
Date Sat, 17 Oct 2015 15:44:28 GMT
On 17 October 2015 at 15:06, Philippe Mouawad
<philippe.mouawad@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> LogKit is in the Attic for a while now.
>
> What about dropping it in favor of a more up to date Logging library:
> - Apache Log4J2 which has great performances now
> - SLF4+LogBack which is also nice
> - Commons-logging
>
> I see many benefits:
> - Drop an outdated library (I think it's never a good thing to rely on
> unmaintained libraries, it can be a security issue, it can make newbies
> think that JMeter is not maintained nor up to date)

Newer is not necessarily better.

> - Performances of Log4j2 are now outstanding

Is performance an issue?

> - There a nice useful API that we could use to concat and variabilize
> logging messages provided :
> * https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.0/manual/messages.html
> * https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.0/manual/thread-context.html

How is that going to help?
Are there many situations where this is essential?

> Switching is not a big deal although it impacts a lot of classes on the
> line:
> -     private static final Logger log = LoggingManager.getLoggerForClass();

I think you will find that there are other impacts on the JMeter code.
I suggest you experiment first in a branch.

> We could make the changes to LoggingManager so that it is able to reuse
> current logging setup configuration and allow configuration from a usual
> configuration file as per the chosen library.

That would be essential