jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Documentation and more
Date Sat, 10 Oct 2015 12:18:58 GMT
The printable docs serve several purposes:

- help pages for use in JMeter itself.
[It only uses component_reference.html and functions.html.]
The display uses the built-in Swing components, and only supports
links within the current page.
I think that is an advantage, as the user cannot get lost, and there
is no chance that the code will have to cope with arbitrary HTML.
It is important that only the relevant information is displayed, so
unnecessary items such as side menus should not be present.

- offline browsing of all the JMeter user documentation.
The side menus are not useful in this case.
The links to online resources won't work, and the internal links from
the side menu are made available from the main page.
Having no side menu leaves more room for useful content.

- printing manual pages.
The side menu is not useful here; it just wastes paper. Likewise the
online only bits of the title banner.
It should be possible to download the JMeter release and have
everything needed to use it offline.

It would be useful to be able to print pages direct from the internet
without the menus, but that is a separate issue.