jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Dropping LogKit in favor of Apache Log4J2 or SLF4J+ Logback or Commons-Logging
Date Sat, 17 Oct 2015 14:06:10 GMT
Hello,
LogKit is in the Attic for a while now.

What about dropping it in favor of a more up to date Logging library:
- Apache Log4J2 which has great performances now
- SLF4+LogBack which is also nice
- Commons-logging

I see many benefits:
- Drop an outdated library (I think it's never a good thing to rely on
unmaintained libraries, it can be a security issue, it can make newbies
think that JMeter is not maintained nor up to date)
- Performances of Log4j2 are now outstanding
- There a nice useful API that we could use to concat and variabilize
logging messages provided :
* https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.0/manual/messages.html
* https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.0/manual/thread-context.html

Switching is not a big deal although it impacts a lot of classes on the
line:
-     private static final Logger log = LoggingManager.getLoggerForClass();

We could make the changes to LoggingManager so that it is able to reuse
current logging setup configuration and allow configuration from a usual
configuration file as per the chosen library.

Thoughts ?
Regards
Philippe M.
@philmdot