jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: Documentation and more
Date Sat, 10 Oct 2015 12:29:06 GMT
Am 10.10.2015 um 14:18 schrieb sebb:
> The printable docs serve several purposes:
>
> - help pages for use in JMeter itself.
> [It only uses component_reference.html and functions.html.]
> The display uses the built-in Swing components, and only supports
> links within the current page.
> I think that is an advantage, as the user cannot get lost, and there
> is no chance that the code will have to cope with arbitrary HTML.
> It is important that only the relevant information is displayed, so
> unnecessary items such as side menus should not be present.
Right. I think it useful too, that the user can't get lost. And since
the user should not leave the page, the menu is not useful there.

> - offline browsing of all the JMeter user documentation.
> The side menus are not useful in this case.
> The links to online resources won't work, and the internal links from
> the side menu are made available from the main page.
> Having no side menu leaves more room for useful content.
Screens get really wide today, so a menu at the side might be helpful in
such a case, but generally I think you are right, that not all resources
should be linked in the offline pages.

> - printing manual pages.
> The side menu is not useful here; it just wastes paper. Likewise the
> online only bits of the title banner.
> It should be possible to download the JMeter release and have
> everything needed to use it offline.
If you look at the printed pages (in firefox there is a print preview),
you will see, that there are no banners, menus and even no footer (while
I think the footer could be useful).

Are there any points you know, that a online connection is needed for
the online docs? (The fonts should fall back to local ones)

> It would be useful to be able to print pages direct from the internet
> without the menus, but that is a separate issue.
That is possible right now with current trunk.

Regards,
  Felix