jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nashorm Javascript engine
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2015 10:37:07 GMT
On 14 September 2015 at 10:42, Vladimir Sitnikov
<sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just my 2c:  Nashorn is the default javascript implementation since
> Java 8, so if users try just "JSR223", they'll have to use different
> syntax between "if controller" and "JSR223".
>
> As far as I can see, JMeter does not bundle "rhino-223 wrapper", thus

As I already wrote, JSR223 is a separate issue, which we should
perhaps address in a separate thread.

> userŅ‹ have no easy option to "stick with Rhino".

Rhino will continue to be available via the BSF test elements.
And we have control over JMeter's use of Rhino.

>>The Nashorn engine is twice as slow as Rhino initially,
>
> Any references?

I got the speed info from the diagram in the link from the Bugzilla:

http://ariya.ofilabs.com/2014/03/nashorn-the-new-rhino-on-the-block.html

> PS. The only case for using Rhino I see is "backward compatibility
> with old JMeter scripts when using Java 8".

Apart from compatibility issues [1], Nashorn is NOT always faster than Rhino.

Which is why I think the changes should have been discussed first.

[1] https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/Nashorn/Rhino+Migration+Guide