jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hostory of JMeter
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2015 15:34:27 GMT
On 22 June 2015 at 14:37, Andrey Pokhilko <apc4@ya.ru> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Several times I had a question from different people about the history
> of JMeter. The project seems to be very old (started 1998), but almost
> nothing is known about its major milestones. The intro page states:
>
>     Stefano Mazzocchi of the Apache Software Foundation was the original
>     developer of JMeter. He wrote it primarily to test the performance
>     of Apache JServ (a project that has since been replaced by the
>     Apache Tomcat project). We redesigned JMeter to enhance the GUI and
>     to add functional-testing capabilities.
>
>     JMeter became a Top Level Apache project in November 2011, which
>     means it has a Project Management Commitee and a dedicated website.
>

> People are interested to know the top-level history of who led the
> project at its different periods of life, which major changes were

The ASF operates a community approach to code building through PMCs.
There is no leader as such; the PMC chair is an administrative role only.
However of course some developers produce more code than others.

> introduced through its evolution and when. Things like changing project
> VCS, bug tracker etc are also interesting to everyone who is interested
> in OpenSource itself.

The project source code was originally managed using CVS, which was
the ASF standard.
The ASF switched to using Subversion several years ago now, so JMeter
was converted along with all the other projects at the time.

AFAIK the ASF has always used Bugzilla as one of its bug trackers;
JMeter has stayed with it.

> If somebody has the knowledge of project history, please express it as a
> wiki page with as much details as possible. It is not demanded by wide
> masses, but some advanced JMeter users are always curious with the
> stories of success (yes, we're the most popular open source performance
> testing tool in the world).

Feel free to make a start on any relevant Wiki pages.
No doubt others will add to them as they come across useful info.