jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Create Macro Feature was Post-Sampler Timers
Date Thu, 07 May 2015 01:14:51 GMT
On 7 May 2015 at 01:09, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
>>As far as I am aware, there has been little or no demand for this on
> the user lists.
>
> How do you handle usability issues?
> Do you suggest all usability issues are out of scope of JMeter?

No, of course not.

But developer time is not infinite, so one must consider how useful
the change is likely to be.

Adding bells and whistles for every single possible scenario just
results in a bloated app that is hard to maintain and use.

> I think users are just not aware of the possibility of better life,
> thus you do not see requests

Then there would be no enhancement requests.

> "skip rows in CSV file" is a pure usability issue. It has manual yet
> painful WA. It has even automatic WA (e.g. some loops in jmx plan).
> However, it is just an additional pain for newcomers.

It's only a usabiity issue if people actually need to do it.

>>if selected, then check if the marker file
>>is present, and if so skip that many rows.
>
> I do not follow you. Initially you said existing CSV Data Set should
> not be extended: "Do you think JMeter core should handle the case --
> no".
> Now you suggest improving it.

I still think it is somewhat out of scope for JMeter.

But IF it is adopted, then I don't think it makes sense to do so as a
macro function.

>>Note that the StringFromFile function has a feature which allows the
>>use of multiple input files that can be used in sequence
>
> I do not see how it is useful in current context.

It's an alternative approach.

You can run a test that uses files in sequence. At the end of the
test, restart the next test starting with the first unused file.
We used this at work for long running tests (48+ hrs) that could only
use each entry in a file once.
We prepared lots of randomised files, and set each test to run with a
suitable subset.

> When I said "5-10 input files" I meant "5-10 thread groups with each
> having its own input file".

That is a separate issue.