jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Pokhilko <a...@ya.ru>
Subject Post-Sampler Timers
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2015 09:32:30 GMT
Hi,

When I try to introduce JMeter to new people, I frequently see them
confused with our way to set "think times" before request. Especially
those who used to use some other testing tools, where think-time is
_after_ request.

I personally think that think-time should be made after request, because
its duration depends on the results of the request. If you have got long
text as a result of your request, you supposed to spend some time
reading it. If you have short error message, you supposed to do your
next request much faster. The _delay_ time before request still makes
sense, because it allows manipulating throughput and synchronize requests.

I would like to contribute to JMeter following changes:

 1. Add a property for Timers, marking them as "pre-sampler" or
    "post-sampler" timers
 2. Modify thread execution flow to call pre-timers and post-timers
    accordingly
 3. Modify timers UIs where it is reasonable, adding radio button to
    change timer mode

Any thoughts/objections on this?

--
Andrey Pokhilko