jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject BackendListener client design needs more work
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2015 15:21:59 GMT
I've just had a look at the BackendListener implementation.
[Sorry, I should have spent some time on this when it was first added.]

Although it clearly works, it does not seem to me to be a particularly
user-friendly design.
The GUI is not very easy to use.

Would it not be possible to implement the Gui and sampler classes as
stand-alone classes?

These can all derive from the same abstract parent class(es).

==

Also, it looks like the underlying BackendListener is duplicated for
each GUI Listener in the test plan. So each sample will be processed
multiple times, and there will be multiple queues.
That seems very wasteful.

At the moment there is only one possible listener type so there is no
need to create more than one listener in a given scope, however in
future there will presumably be more.

I think it would be better if the backend listeners were able to
register themselves with a single BackendListener which then
distributes the sample as needed to the eventual recipients.

I've not looked into how this would fit in with scoped listeners; it
may be necessary to allow for muliple listeners, one in each scope,
and then allow for different listener types to be attached to the
different scopes. This needs further research.

==

Unlike existing Listeners, there does not seem to be any way to limit
processing to only successful/failed samples.

I think the current implementation needs rethinking.
If it is to be included in the next release as it currently stands, I
think it needs to be very clearly documented as being subject to
change.