jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: APDEX Computing and reporting
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2015 07:00:42 GMT
On Monday, February 2, 2015, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 February 2015 at 22:41, Philippe Mouawad
> <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 1, 2015, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On 1 February 2015 at 19:31, Philippe Mouawad
> >> <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com <javascript:;> <javascript:;>>
> >>
> >> If the code reads the CSV file at the end of a test to produce the
> >> HTML file, there is no need for it to be included in the JMeter code
> >> which is used to run tests.
> >> It should be a separate application.
> >>
> >> I don't share your opinion sebb.
> > Having a report ready at end of load test is nowadays a standard, look at
> > market tools wether open source or not.
> > I don't see the problem here, can you give more details ?
>
> The problem is that it adds extra code to the JMeter application which
> takes extra memory.

My last implementation only uses memory at end of test not morz during it.

> Also, if the user wants to process existing files, it will be easier

to have a standalone application rather than having to start the
> JMeter test application and then find the reporting tool.

It is possible with it, just make a plan with 1 debug sampler and put
listener. Report will be generated.

> It would be useful if the tool could be used in batch mode to process
> a set of CSV files.

Maybe, but I think it's an additional feature. Also having another tool may
lead to what happened to the report package, it seems it was never used.
But if you implement it it will be ok for me.

> It's also likely to be easier for others to contribute additional
> reporting tools if they are part of a separate application.

I don't understand this ? how is it easier if it's in jmeter core. If it's
apart I don't support this option.

> It should make the coding requirements simpler.

how ?

> > Having another application( by the way do you mean provided as a tool in
> > jmeter or third party) means in the first case you need to setup another
> > tool and in the latter case need to develop your own, or use or pay one.
>
> Of course the code should be included with JMeter.
> But it should be a separate tool.
>
> > This is the major drawback of JMeter I hear from customers and read
> around
> > the net.
>
> > I first though it would not be that easy but it appears we are able to
> > reuse existing code.
>
> I don't follow.
>
> > If you disagree, I think we should wait for other team members their
> > opinion and/or setup a vote for this.
>
> The main JMeter code should be reserved for setting up and running tests.

IMHO reporting must be part of JMeter, and anyway it is already through
some Listeners , which although not perfect bring useful infos. The aim of
this new listener is:
1/ Allow generation in gui and non gui mode
2/ Have a "sexy" (not yet ) report readable in browser with dynamic
behaviour (zoom, select some samples...)
3/ Allow generation at end of load test
4/ Make it easily customizable as FTL will be a property
5/ Make it extensible in the future

> <javascript:;>>

> <javascript:;>>

> >> existant