jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: Java version check in jmeter script files - is it worth the maintenance effort?
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2015 20:05:21 GMT

Am 24. Februar 2015 20:43:28 MEZ, schrieb Milamber <milamber@apache.org>:
>Hello,
>
>Please note, the mean reason to add the Java version check is to avoid
>the Java 8 warning message:
>Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option
>PermSize=64m;
>support was removed in 8.0
>Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option
>MaxPermSize=128m; support was removed in 8.0
>

>Below the code for checking in bin/jmeter:
>
># Java 8 remove Permanent generation, don't settings the PermSize
>if [ $current_version -lt "8" ]; then
>    # Increase MaxPermSize if you use a lot of Javascript in your Test
>Plan :
>    PERM="-XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m"
>fi
>
>We can remove the Java version check, but the users with Java 8 will
>have the warning message.
>Or remove the permanent size config?

I believe IBMs java would not even start with the perm size option.

And since java 7 will reach its end of live soon (at least the public support from Oracle)
we should consider what to do next with the perm size option.

I think it would be nice to factor out all memory related options into one variable, that
can be overridden easily by the user.

On the original question of whether we should keep the logic to determine the java version:
let us keep it, if no one else complains.

Regards
Felix