jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Java version check in jmeter script files - is it worth the maintenance effort?
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2015 19:57:45 GMT
Am 23.02.2015 um 19:36 schrieb sebb:
> The Java version check in JMeter script files is somewhat fragile, and
> has to be maintained.
>
> Does it really provide enough benefit to keep it?

IMHO currently there's no real necessity to remove it, or did you find
another problem with it? I suspect you ask, because there's always
exotic systems and writing portable shell scripts is a hard task and one
can't easily test them (because the platforms are not available).

Since our requirements are very relaxed (Java 6), there's no big use in
the version check either. In most cases the condition will be fulfilled,
so a clear documentation statement should suffice. I think currently the
info is only on the download page and in the changelog. Maybe it could
be added to the "a 100% pure Java application" sentence in the landing
page and in the intro page of the users manual without bloating that
pages to much.

So I'm fine with either keeping or removing the check, but I think we
should place the requirement a little bit more prominent in the docs in
any case.

Regards,

Rainer