jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Drop Java 6 support for the next release?
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2014 19:00:47 GMT
On 15 November 2014 18:27, Milamber <milamber@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would open the discussion to remove the Java 6 support (End Of Life:
> Feb 2013) to JMeter for next release (in 2015 I think).
>
> I think, now, the Java 7 (or 8) is widespread on computer.
>
> For history:
> JMeter 2.9 (2013-01-28) drop the Java 1.5 support (EOL Oct 2009)
> JMeter 2.4 (2010-07-12) drop the Java 1.4 support (EOL Oct 2008)
>
> Note : Java 7 EOL is April 2015
>

> Have you some special objections to remove the Java 6 support to JMeter?

JMeter is an a stand-alone application, and so other Java code is not
generally dependent on it.

This means we have more freedom when deciding the minimum Java version.
If necessary, JMeter can be installed on a separate system with a more
recent version of Java.

I think the main constraint is whether or not the Java version is
readily available and stable on a wide variety of platforms.

Having said that, unless a newer version of Java offers significant
benefits, there is no point in forcing (some) users to upgrade Java.

So: what are the features of Java 7 and/or 8 that would improve JMeter?