jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Pokhilko <a...@ya.ru>
Subject Introduce connect times for SampleResult?
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2014 12:14:48 GMT
Hi,

Many times I see a sence to have connect times measured separately, in
addition to latency that we have in SampleResult. It is important when
measuring a time for SSL handshake and DNS resolving, when users want to
see it separate share in total Response Time.

Connect time is available as separate metric in Grinder and Yandex.Tank.
The latter has following details on response time pars: connect, send,
latency, receive. Sometimes some parts are zero, but at least there is a
technical possibility to see when it is non-zero. It should be noted
that full breakdown would be: dns, connect, send, latency, receive.

Send and receive times are not of great importance, IMO. And I would
cope with connect time including DNS resolve time. But having connect
time would add interesting aspect on results.

For implementation it will require adding one more property with getters
and setters to SampleResult, modifying SampleSaveConfiguration and UI
settings to configure saving, using this new field in HTTP sampler, TCP
sampler, maybe there are other samplers that can respect this field.

As separate question I would raise if latency should not include connect
time, for me it sounds logical, but changes existing behavior.

Any opinions?

--
Andrey Pokhilko