jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Milamber <milam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Drop Java 6 support for the next release?
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2014 08:04:36 GMT

On 16/11/2014 03:44, sebb wrote:
> On 15 November 2014 22:24, Milamber <milamber@apache.org> wrote:

>>> JMeter is an a stand-alone application, and so other Java code is not
>>> generally dependent on it.
>>>
>>> This means we have more freedom when deciding the minimum Java version.
>>> If necessary, JMeter can be installed on a separate system with a more
>>> recent version of Java.
>>>
>>> I think the main constraint is whether or not the Java version is
>>> readily available and stable on a wide variety of platforms.
>>>
>>> Having said that, unless a newer version of Java offers significant
>>> benefits, there is no point in forcing (some) users to upgrade Java.
>>>
>>> So: what are the features of Java 7 and/or 8 that would improve JMeter?
>> I'm not sure that is the good question.
> It is the main question we should ask ourselves.
>
>> Why Apache JMeter must support the EOL Java versions ? and (second
>> question) why JMeter must work on a non-supported version of Java by
>> editor ?
> I'm not saying it must work on EOL versions of Java.
> Remember that Java applications are upwards compatible, so we are not
> stopping it from being used with Java 7,8,9 etc.
>
> However, we should not arbitrarily require Java 7 just because Java 6 is EOL.

Java 6 is EOL since Feb 2013, the next release of JMeter will probably
release in the 1st or 2nd quarter 2015, so 2 years after the Java 6 EOL.
That seems give a reasonable time to the users for update their machine
with Java 7.
We have already made an implicit (and arbitrary?) decision to keep the
Java 6 support since the 6 EOL.

>> For example, the bug 54477 is only fixed by using the Java 7 version. We
>> can't fix this bug with Oracle (Sun) because the EOL arrived...
> That is exactly the sort of information that I meant.
>
>> I'm made a lot of load testing mission, and I have always the
>> possibility to install the latest Java version. JMeter isn't a server
>> process like httpd, the compliant with old version isn't mandatory for
>> the run test, the load tester (person who make the load test or
>> functional test) can always impose their requirements (i.e. Java version).
>>
>> If I follow your logical think, the question is: when the JMeter minimal
>> Java version must be change? Why wait 4 years to upgrade to Java 5? or 2
>> years to upgrade to Java 1.4? what is the criteria to upgrade the Java
>> runtime at this time (2009 / 2008)?
>>
>> Please, give us the reasons to keep the reason to keep JMeter compliant
>> with no-support of the Java version by the editor (and the security
>> issues, bug issue with old version)?
> I am not saying we have to keep JMeter compliant with Java 6.
>
> However I am saying that we should not break compliance merely because
> Java 6 is EOL.we mu
>
> It looks like there are some good reasons for requiring Java 7.

The EOL seems a good reason + a reasonable time to upgrade seems
sufficient for me. Why we must have some technical or performance
reasons only?

For reference, on the Solr/Lucene project, a vote has been done to the
upgrade
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/general/225300

Milamber