jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Analysis of apache-jmeter-2.11 dependency on JDK-Internal APIs
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2014 16:31:33 GMT
On 24 September 2014 11:29, Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin Ireland <
rory.odonnell@oracle.com> wrote:

>  Let me know if the report below is legible ?

Yes, thanks.

> JDK Internal API Usage Report for apache-jmeter-2.11
>
> The OpenJDK Quality Outreach campaign has run a compatibility report to
> identify usage of JDK-internal APIs. Usage of these JDK-internal APIs could
> pose compatibility issues, as the Java team explained in 1996
> <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/faq-sun-packages-142232.html>. We
> have created this report to help you identify which JDK-internal APIs your
> project uses, what to use instead, and where those changes should go.
> Making these changes will improve your compatibility, and in some cases
> give better performance.
>
> Migrating away from the JDK-internal APIs now will give your team adequate
> time for testing before the release of JDK 9. If you are unable to migrate
> away from an internal API, please provide us with an explanation below to
> help us understand it better. As a reminder, supported APIs are determined
> by the OpenJDK's Java Community Process and not by Oracle.
>
> This report was generated by jdeps
> <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/unix/jdeps.html>
> through static analysis of artifacts: it does not identify any usage of
> those APIs through reflection or dynamic bytecode. You may also run jdeps
> on your own
> <https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/JDK8/Java+Dependency+Analysis+Tool>
> if you would prefer.
>
> Summary of the analysis of the jar files within apache-jmeter-2.11:
>
>    - Numer of jar files depending on JDK-internal APIs: 7
>    - Internal APIs that have known replacements: 6
>    - Internal APIs that have no supported replacements: 63

It looks like all the issues relate to jars which are not part of JMeter
itself (they are dependencies that are bundled with the binary release).

So I'm afraid that there's not a lot we can do in the JMeter project apart
from not using the dependencies - however that is not an option.

The report really needs to be addressed to the projects that produces the
jars:

xalan - http://xalan.apache.org/
xerces - http://xerces.apache.org/
jodd - http://jodd.org/
xstream - http://xstream.codehaus.org/
soap - Apache SOAP - no longer maintained
bsh - BeanShell ??