jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Darren Hartford <binarymon...@yahoo.com>
Subject Display Special Chars (TCPSampler usecase)
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:34:26 GMT
Just sharing my research to date just in case I getting distracted with other things and is
of interest to others, the usecase below has come up often as a challenge -

Desire is to be able to display special characters, specifically those such as Serial Control
codes often used with TCP work  (SOH, STX, etc...).   An example is how Notepad++ shows
these characters, although that is not required but would be nice.

Initial review, focusing on TCPSampler (TCPConfigGui) and View Results Tree (request and response
RAW panes).  Jmeter is AWT based.

org.apache.jmeter.protocol.tcp.config.gui.TcpConfigGui.requestData ->
org.apache.jmeter.gui.util.JSyntaxTextArea ->
org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.RSyntaxTextArea

Reviewing RSyntaxTextArea, it is more ide-style editor, does not appear to have different
encoding options for rendering these special characters.  Should either enhance/start there,
or replace with an alternative (a quick search ended with a failed google-fu of AWT alternatives).

-D