jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From James Liang <jli...@andera.com>
Subject RE: Test Script Recorder (jmeter proxy) doesn't handle multipart submission
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 05:23:14 GMT
After thinking this over, I don't understand why jmeter proxy need the upload file in the jmeter/bin
folder at all.

I am trying to use the jmeter proxy to capture test script for a file upload scenario.  The
data flow is as follow:

1.  from the browser, a user selects a local file to upload to the server
2.  the browser reads in the file and constructs the http multipart submission requests
3.  the browser sends the http multipart submission to the jmeter proxy
4.  jmeter proxy records the http requests as http request samplers
5.  jmeter proxy forwards the http requests to the server

Based on these steps, the jmeter proxy should not need to open the local file at all.  The
browser already did that and has already construct the http message that contains the file
data.

When I tried using the browser upload a file outside of jmeter/bin, the file upload errors
out immediately.  When I put the file in jmeter/bin and then use the browser to upload, everything
works.  Furthermore, the jmeter was able to create the http request samplers.  I've also verified
the file indeed went over to the server.

What am I missing.

Thanks,
James Liang