jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From James Liang <jli...@andera.com>
Subject RE: Debug PostProcessor output interfere with Regular Expression Extractor
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:01:18 GMT
Hi Sebb and Philippe,

Thank you very much for helping me out with this issue.

Let me first address the main issue that I see and then your suggestions further below.

I think a fundamental design guideline that is important to adhere to is this:

Debug aids should not interfere with correct application behavior.  Otherwise the system will
have obscure landmines that can be very painful.  Just imagine what if your java debugger
have the same problem...

Unfortunately, the Debug PostProcessor breaks this rule.  Maybe one simple fix is to get rid
of the DebugPP.  Instead, add a debug tab to the View Results Tree listener.  The debug tab
will display the Sampler Properties and JmeterVariables.

Regarding your suggestions:

1) Use Debug Sampler instead:

The problem with the Debug Sampler is that it is not a preprocessor; it is a sampler.  As
such I have to manually add it before every sampler.  I have a bunch of long test scenarios
which make this tedious.  By using the Debug PostProcessor, I just need to add one inside
the Thread Group and it gets invoked after every sampler.

Also, I wouldn't be surprise if the regex extractors also works on Debug Sampler output as
well.  If so, we'll end up with the same problem.

2) Reordering the DebugPP to the end:

Here is the hierarchy of my test.  Notice the Debug PP is already at the bottom.

Thread Group
-- http request sampler A
-- While Controller
---- http request sampler B
------ regex extractor
-- Debug Post Processor

I've also tried moving Debug PP to in front of "http request sampler A" and the test still
doesn't work.

Thanks,
James Liang