jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Groovy
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 22:49:26 GMT
On 2 July 2013 23:26, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 3, 2013, sebb wrote:
>
>> On 2 July 2013 22:43, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
>> wrote:
>> > hello,
>> > so we include it ?
>> >
>> > It's +1 for me:
>> > - faster than beanshell
>> > - maintaned and jdk6 syntax can be used
>> > - big community
>>
>> None of the above require it to be bundled with JMeter.
>>
>> > - embedding it will encourage its usage
>>
>> Possibly; I'm not convinced it's necessary to include it.
>>
>> I think we need to be very careful about adding stuff to JMeter just
>> because it may be useful to some users. It's all to easy to end up
>> with a bloated product that performs poorly.
>>
>> on the contrary, adding it will encourage groovy usage instead of
> beanshell , and this will give better performances.

Only for test plans that use scripting, but having more jars in the
classpath can have an adverse effect on all tests.

Besides, the scripting test elements are primarily intended for prototyping.

Furthermore, BeanShell is hopefully joining Apache Commons soon.
It may well end up as fast or faster than Groovy.