jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TCP Sampler - "Waiting for response" option and improving option UI
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 13:58:01 GMT
On 5 December 2012 05:16, Kurt Hong <kurt@uangel.com> wrote:
> Your question is how we can utilize that option maybe?
>
> If so, basically, it is needed for one-way pattern TCP communication.
>

> Also for asynchronous communication, I'm not sure it would be helpful for you to understand...
>
> One of our servers needed some kind of heartbeat message every  5 seconds during diverse
interactions.

> So I thought we might utilize that option like shown below... for example...
>
> Every samplers work on the same session(meaning "Re-Use connection" is true)
> - TCP Sampler: Ask something to server("Waiting for response" is false)

Do you wait for the message to be sent to the server?

> - IF Controller(if 5 seconds passed after last heartbeat. Or "lastHeartBeatedTime" is
empty)
>   --(if yes) TCP Sampler: send heartbeat("Waiting for response" is false)
>   -- Set a variable named "lastHeartBeatedTime" as current time.
> - TCP Sampler: send empty message("Waiting for response" is !true!)
> - Response Assertion: Set a variable for  result value.
> - Any Controller using result value.
> .... and so on...

So effectively you would like the TCP sampler to support write-only
and read-only modes?
But in each case, the sampler would wait for the write (or read) to complete?
That should not be too hard to implement.

Though I think you would find it easier to write your own TCP
writer/reader that handled all the heartbeats.

> Thank you!

on TCP Config are meaningless at the moment. We have two options so far.
>> - Change checkboxes to selectbox(none/true/false)
>> - Change checkboxes to tri-state checkbox - do we have any plan for developing JMeterTriStateCheckBox?
Or shall I? Or just go selectbox for TCP Sampler?