jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Kurt Hong <k...@uangel.com>
Subject RE: TCP Sampler - "Waiting for response" option and improving option UI
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 05:16:22 GMT
Your question is how we can utilize that option maybe?

If so, basically, it is needed for one-way pattern TCP communication.

Also for asynchronous communication, I'm not sure it would be helpful for you to understand...

One of our servers needed some kind of heartbeat message every  5 seconds during diverse interactions.

So I thought we might utilize that option like shown below... for example...

Every samplers work on the same session(meaning "Re-Use connection" is true)
- TCP Sampler: Ask something to server("Waiting for response" is false)
- IF Controller(if 5 seconds passed after last heartbeat. Or "lastHeartBeatedTime" is empty)
  --(if yes) TCP Sampler: send heartbeat("Waiting for response" is false)
  -- Set a variable named "lastHeartBeatedTime" as current time.
- TCP Sampler: send empty message("Waiting for response" is !true!)
- Response Assertion: Set a variable for  result value.
- Any Controller using result value.
.... and so on...

Thank you!

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 10:16 AM
To: dev@jmeter.apache.org
Subject: Re: TCP Sampler - "Waiting for response" option and improving option UI

On 5 December 2012 00:50, Kurt Hong <kurt@uangel.com> wrote:
> Dear JMeter developers,
>
> How do you think about an addition of "Waiting  for response" option to TCP Sampler and
 TCP Sampler Config?

How would that work?
It's not clear to me how you would use the sampler.

> I think, in order to support some asynchronous communication test, that will be helpful.
>
> Also we need to improve checkbox options on TCP Sampler/Config as checkbox options on
TCP Config are meaningless at the moment. We have two options so far.
> - Change checkboxes to selectbox(none/true/false)
> - Change checkboxes to tri-state checkbox - do we have any plan for developing JMeterTriStateCheckBox?
Or shall I? Or just go selectbox for TCP Sampler?

> What do you think?

Please use separate messages for separate topics - otherwise the thread quickly becomes impossible
to follow.