jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Dimitris Balaouras <dbalaou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jmx versioning
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 14:39:08 GMT
On 08/07/2012 05:15 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 7 August 2012 15:12, Shmuel Krakower <shmulikk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sebb, I guess you missed the point of Dimitris - to try and run a script
>> from jmeter 2.6 on jmeter2.5 executable.
> Why would one want to do that?

Sebb, I wouldn't ever want to do this.  The use case goes like this:
users upload jmx scripts into a web app and a proxy application
delegates them to the correct jmeter executable for regular executions.
I tend to agree that using the latest version is always safe, but
sticking with one version provides some safety that all executions would
occur under the exact same context (wrt software at least). That said,
knowing the version of jM that was used to create a script would be handy.
Of course the users can explicitly define this, but automation is always
welcomed.

>> Dimitris - as sebb wrote currently only jmx version is reflected in the jmx
>> file, so you cannot directly know which version of jmeter was used to
>> create this script.
>>
>> I do find it useful too to have the jmeter version saved into the jmx file.
> Again, why?

See above for a -hopefully- justified reason. Other than that, I'm
wondering if it would cause any harm.
Surely, if it's too much work or breaks conventions, I wouldn't put any
effort on it.

- Dimi