jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svnpubsub for website
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:10:54 GMT
On 22 February 2012 14:45, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 14:35 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> Infrastructure require projects to change the way releases and
>> websites are published by the end of this year.
>> [See separate mail for releases]
>>
>> The current process is that sites are updated by uploading files to
>> minotaur (people.a.o), but this is to be changed so that sites are
>> stored in SVN and the public website will be directly updated from
>> there.
>> This will eliminate the delay which currently occurs between updating
>> minotaur and the website being visible publicly.
>>
>> The JMeter website is currently stored in SVN (apart from apidocs), so
>> in theory svnpubsub should work very well for us.
>>
>> However, we currently rely on using a branch for each JMeter version
>> so we can update trunk separately.
>> Infra have said that they will only support using a single unchanging
>> SVN URL, so we'll need to change the way we manage different site
>> versions.
>> I hope we can continue as currently, but release the site by copying
>> the site from the branch to the target URL.
>>
>> I need to find out if this will work and be acceptable.
>
> Sebastian et al
>
> Have you considered migrating all the way to Apache CMS instead (which I
> believe is recommended by the infra)?

I don't think CMS is necessary (or suitable) for JMeter.
We don't use Maven to generate the docs.
Also, the docs are generated twice, once for use as offine help, and
once for the site.
Not sure how that would fit in with CMS.

> I have been thinking about
> migrating HC related content to CMS, as I am quite sick and tired of
> having to wrestle with maven-site-plugin each and every release.

Infra are still working through how to deal with Maven-generated sites
in terms of CMS / svnpubsub.

CMS assumes that each target file can be generated from a single input
file; this is not true of Maven sites.

AIUI, the main benefit of CMS is the webgui which allows one to edit
the source for a site file and regenerate just that file.
This works well for the main ASF site, but I'm not sure it's necessary
for project sites which tend to be updated with each release only.
But even for the ASF site, some edits are quite difficult - for
example, it's hard work finding the correct file to edit in order to
change the projects list at the bottom of the main site pages.

The svnpubsub aspect is a bit easier, as it basically just means
generating the site files and updating the relevant SVN directory tree
which is then used to update the live site.