jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Collin" <m...@ardescosolutions.com>
Subject RE: JVM did not exit; following threads are still running (DestroyJavaVM is OK):
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:43:58 GMT
The tests all seem to be completing correctly and showing pass/fail as
appropriate.

I have checked the thread count and the threads are being closed off after
this message appears so I presume it's just not shutting the threads down in
time (I am running this on a sub optimal machine so I don't know if you
would see that same messages with something a bit more powerful).

For now I'll assume that it is expected behaviour and worry about it more if
the tests start behaving in an unexpected way.

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: 27 January 2012 14:05
To: dev@jmeter.apache.org
Subject: Re: JVM did not exit; following threads are still running
(DestroyJavaVM is OK):

On 27 January 2012 12:20, Mark Collin <mark@ardescosolutions.com> wrote:
> I'm occasionally seeing the following printed out to console when
> running JMeter through maven:
>

> JVM did not exit; following threads are still running (DestroyJavaVM is
OK):

Are there any other messages following this?

> Looking through the codebase it seems to be part of a general clean up
> after a test, however is this something I should expect to see now and
> again or is it an indication of something more sinister.  I can
> supress it easy enough but I don't want to do that if it's an
> indication of something serious going wrong.

It just indicates that JMeter could not exit normally because there are
still some non-daemon threads running.

Previously, JMeter used to call System.exit(), but that causes problems when
running from another application (e.g. Maven), so the code was changed to
just end the JMeter threads.

The message was added to provide feedback to the user in case the JVM did
not exit as expected.
This is mainly useful when using client-server or non-GUI mode.
It is implemented as a daemon thread which waits a short while; if the
thread is able to continue, clearly the JVM did not exit, so it prints the
message.

But where JMeter is being invoked by another application which continues to
run after the test finishes, the message is not all that useful.
It should perhaps be made optional; also perhaps the timeout should be
configurable (currently 2000ms).

In your case, perhaps Maven is sometimes taking longer to complete than the
timeout (2s) in the JMeter daemon thread that prints the message.

> --
the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are

--
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named.
If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster@ardescosolutions.com