jena-users mailing list archives

From Dave Reynolds <dave.e.reyno...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Fatal Ontology {E301} - Content not allowed in Prolog
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 21:04:50 GMT
On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 17:40 +0000, McGibbney, Lewis John wrote:
> Hi Damian,
>
> Sorry to pick your brains on this one, but can you please explain the reasoning behind
the requirement for RDF syntax instead of any of the other alternatives. The reason I am asking
is that I am trying to relate to how Jena reads my ontology files, if whatever parsing mechanism
cannot read my OWL files then I will need to find an alternative method for ontology construction
in the future, as constant conversion is not an efficient method.

A file containing OWL statements in RDF/XML (or Turtle for that matter)
*is* an OWL file :)

The RDF encoding for OWL, with the RDF/XML serialization, is the
"mandatory" syntax for OWL 2 [1] (all others are optional) and is the
only normative syntax for OWL 1 (the OWL version Jena actually supports
at present). All conformant OWL tools must support that syntax and so
can interoperate with Jena.

Jena's OWL support is implemented as a layer on top of RDF, not as a
separate language, which makes the RDF-based syntaxes must easier to
deal with.

That said if anyone was motivated to develop language parsers and RDF
converters for the other (three!) syntaxes of OWL 2 and contribute them
to the Apache incubator project then that would be great.

Dave

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-overview-20091027/#Syntaxes

> Regards
>
> Lewis

and Herald Society’s Education Initiative of the Year 2009.
> http://www.gcu.ac.uk/newsevents/news/bycategory/theuniversity/1/name,6219,en.html
>
> Winner: Times Higher Education’s Outstanding Support for Early Career Researchers of
the Year 2010, GCU as a lead with Universities Scotland partners.