jena-users mailing list archives

From Dave Reynolds <dave.e.reyno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I think I've got some pretty basic confusion with reading into models
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 23:20:52 GMT
On 09/12/2010 22:44, Benson Margulies wrote:
> "Add the appropriate import"
>
> is that 'addLoadedImport' or something else I'm missing?

Probably not.

There are a couple of different notions here and the answer depends on
exactly how you want this to work :)

First, thinking of your graph as an OWL document then there is the
notion of adding an import statement into the document. This means
adding statements to the graph (that "clutter" is one of the reasons I
tend to avoid explicit imports in internal processing chains). You can
do that using OntModel#createOntology to create a resource of type
owl:Ontology corresponding to this graph and then use Ontology#addImport
to add the import statement to that ontology resource.

Second, there's the processing that means an OntModel "sees" all the
statements in the ontology. If you just load in a model with an import
statement (such as created by the above) then the OntModel will by
default so look for that Ontology, read it in, and add it as a subModel
to the OntModel.

Now you can programmatically add a subModel anyway without having an
import statement by just calling OntModel#addSubModel. This can be
useful when you are doing some processing on a graph and want to see it
along with its ontology closure but don't want to mess with the base
graph itself by adding import statements.

Sometimes you do this addSubModel yourself but later on want to do some
import processing anyway.  OntModel#addLoadedImport is there for that
case I believe, it records that an import has been done somehow. Is that
right Ian?

Does that all make sense?

Dave