james-site-dev mailing list archives

From site-...@james.apache.org
Subject [Apache James Wiki] New: MailetVsProcmail
Date Sat, 08 May 2004 02:28:45 GMT
   Date: 2004-05-07T19:28:45
   Editor: 216.181.165.36 <>
   Wiki: Apache James Wiki
   Page: MailetVsProcmail

   no comment

New Page:

As of 2004, Procmail has been around for more than a decade, and mailets have been around
for 5 years.  In the past 1-2 years with the huge outgrowth of awareness and concern spam
and worms, email processing has gained much interest and attention.

I recently was trying to create a command-line wrapper for the Mailet API, mainly to help
developers write mailets without having to restart James.  After making some progress, I was
hoping to create a command-line wrapper so that this command line tool could be used the same
way procmail works.  Unfortunately it seems the approaches are different enough to not make
this feasible, but at least I thought I could make a comparison out of this effort.

Mailet API
* Write in Java
* Can access the SMTP envelop, i.e., could see who is the actual recipient is and you could
see a bcc recipient.
* Cumbersome to deploy... need to drop in James
* Accessing API (JavaMail) is heavyweight and memory intensive, but makes it relatively easy
access to individual mime parts or attachments.
* Limited third party apps.

Procmail
* Write in regex and scripts
* Cannot access the SMTP envelop, i.e., cannot see who is the actual recipient nor see a bcc
recipient.
* Very easy to deploy, just about any server, and can
* No MIME API (that I know of), so it's harder to strip attachments or manage nested content.
* Extensive third party apps.