james-server-user mailing list archives

From Phillip Odam <phillip.o...@nitorgroup.com>
Subject Re: James Server SMTP Spooling Issue
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 16:41:16 GMT
Hi Ajay

Firstly, you are not alone. While I have not experienced an issue with
the outgoing queue I have had issues with the incoming.

In my case the class org.apache.james.queue.jms.JMSMailQueue handles
retrieving mail from the incoming spool, however despite the routine
checking the queue every ten seconds the mail item can remain stuck in
the spool until another email is sent which pushes the stuck item out of
the queue. So far I have not discovered what causes this blockage in the
queue to occur or disappear as sending another email while it pushes the
blockage out results in the new email being stuck in the queue.

What you may find useful is raising the log level on activemq - *without
restarting james*. Connect up jvisualvm/jconsole to dynamically reload
the log4j config for activemq. MBean of interest -
org.apache.activemq.james.Broker, Operation reloadLog4jProperties.

When a blockage is discovered changing the number of spool threads,
delivery threads etc seems to at times help. But this may just be
because you're stopping and restarting the server and not due to the
configuration change.

I am interested to hear how this goes for you as I'm in a similar
situation and the issues may well be related.

Thanks
Phillip