james-server-user mailing list archives

From Aladin Dajani <aladin_daj...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: new to james, not sure where to start
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2012 14:14:28 GMT
Hi Eric,
I am interested to know more about "but in production env, it's best to have web container
and James server separated."
First, why?
Second, separated as in different containers on the same machine or separated on different
machines?
Regards,
Aladin

On Jun 17, 2012, at 3:01 AM, Eric Charles <eric@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you build James (svn co [1], mvn package), you already have a war (in target folder)
with needed web.xml that starts james on webapp startup (see [2]).

> This is good for a quick start, but in production env, it's best to have web container
and James server separated.

> Whether James is embedded or not, you can access the management functionalities (user/domain/...
crud,...) via JMX, with the james-server-cli jar (see [3] for how to use ServerProbe).

> Thx, Eric
>
> [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/app/trunk
>
> [2]
> <web-app>
>  <context-param>
>    <param-name>contextConfigLocation</param-name>
>    <param-value>
>      /WEB-INF/conf/META-INF/org/apache/james/spring-server.xml
>    </param-value>
>  </context-param>
>  <context-param>
>     <param-name>contextClass</param-name>
> <param-value>org.apache.james.container.spring.context.web.JamesServerWebApplicationContext</param-value>
>   </context-param>
>   <listener>
> <listener-class>org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener</listener-class>
>   </listener>
> </web-app>
>

> [3] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/cli/src/main/java/org/apache/james/cli/ServerCmd.java
>

> On 06/17/2012 06:57 AM, Anthony Fryer wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new to James and think it can do what I want but would like to be sure.  I have
a java web application that a user can create an account.  I would like that account creation
process to also crease an email inbox for them (ie. a james email account).   I would like
the james server to be embedded in my java web application as possible.

>> When my web application starts up, i would need to start james listening on a port
to receive emails.  How is this done programattically?