james-server-user mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about empty MAIL FROM
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:09:17 GMT
On 06/26/2012 11:07 AM, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> 2012/6/26 Eric Charles<eric@apache.org>:
>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> Sorry to return you the question, but what does SMTP RFC
>> (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt) tells about empty mails? (is it
>> allowed?)

I was supposing that, but didn't take time to point the exact line in
the RFC.

We'd better throw a NonCompliantRfcException than a AddressException,
especially when it is thrown by the MailAddress constructor.

WDYT?
Eric

> "MAIL FORM:<>" is REQUIRED to work. This is the way DSN bounce are delivered.
> Mailservers not supporting this "sender" are listed by
> http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/
>
> Stefano
>
>> In any case, it would be better to a more specific and throw an exception
>> with a correct readable message.
>>
>> Based on your finding, it will be good to open a JIRA on
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES or
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTOCOLS (it will depend how/where we
>> will fix it).
>>
>> Thx, Eric
>>

>> On 06/25/2012 05:39 PM, Aaron Freeman wrote:
>>>
>>> On James Server 3.0 beta 4, we are seeing lots of these errors in the
>>> logs:
>>>

>>> ERROR 10:31:12,847 | james.smtpserver | Id='234288323' User='' Invalid
>>> email
>>> address while processing DATA.
>>> javax.mail.internet.AddressException: Out of data at position 1 in '' in
>>> string ``'' at position 1
>>>          at org.apache.mailet.MailAddress.<init>(MailAddress.java:159)
>>>
>>> So I tried to reproduce it and while I can't be 100% sure this is what is
>>> causing it, it does at least reproduce it:
>>>
>>> [root@alpha log]# telnet 10.123.123.123 25
>>> Trying 10.123.123.123...
>>> Connected to alpha.nospam.com (10.123.123.123).
>>> Escape character is '^]'.
>>> 220 alpha.nospam.com JAMES SMTP Server Server (JAMES SMTP Server ) ready
>>> EHLO testcomputer.com
>>> 250-alpha.nospam.com Hello testcomputer.com [10.123.123.123])
>>> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
>>> 250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
>>> 250-PIPELINING
>>> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES