james-server-user mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: anonymizing james a bit
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:27:48 GMT
On 06/20/2012 10:53 PM, Timothy Prepscius wrote:
> Few notes:
>
> http://james.apache.org/server/3/config-tls.html
> off of: http://james.apache.org/server/3/config.html
> says:  Not Found

Broken link is fixed.
Thx for the report.

> I am planning on making a few changes in James.
> I thought I would check to make sure these have not been done and I just need to modify
a configuration file.

> 1. I want to remove all plain-text e-mail addresses.
>
> Basically, an e-mail arrives, James hashes the xxx@mydomain.xxx for all recipients of
valid domains, and then uses the hash from then on.
> I want to make james so that it is not possible to view the user list.  You can still
modify user lists, but you must do it through hashes.

You could achieve this with a mailet.

> 2.  I want to modify the message queue to pre-encrypt with a RSA Public Key of the intended
recipient.  After encryption, I should have the hash of the recipient, and an encrypted byte
stream.

Also possible via mailet, but you the server will need to have at its
disposal the public key of the recipient.

> 3.  I want to force ClientServer SSL handshakes.  I want to remove the ability to SSL
Proxy.  I want to create a special log for all refusals written to network stream to another
computer.  (I figure log4j has the logging functionality)

SSL is available (see http://james.apache.org/server/3/config-ssl-tls.html).

To log to another computer, you will need to define an ad-hoc log4j
appender that fulfills your needs, and also check in the source code
that the needed information is logged in case of SSL failure.

> Have any of these been done before?  I will do them next week.   Do you want the code
changes?

Sure, we love contributions.