james-server-user mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: new to james, not sure where to start
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:23:06 GMT
It's just to have more control on start/stop and also to avoid running
all web and mail threads in the same JVM (if you run all in same JVM, it
will be less performant in case of high load).

You will also be able to scale the web if needed (load balancing) while
remaining for example with a unique James server.

Thx, Eric

On 06/17/2012 04:14 PM, Aladin Dajani wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> I am interested to know more about "but in production env, it's best to have web container
and James server separated."
> First, why?
> Second, separated as in different containers on the same machine or separated on different
machines?
> Regards,
> Aladin
>
> On Jun 17, 2012, at 3:01 AM, Eric Charles<eric@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you build James (svn co [1], mvn package), you already have a war (in target folder)
with needed web.xml that starts james on webapp startup (see [2]).

>> This is good for a quick start, but in production env, it's best to have web container
and James server separated.

>> Whether James is embedded or not, you can access the management functionalities (user/domain/...
crud,...) via JMX, with the james-server-cli jar (see [3] for how to use ServerProbe).

>> Thx, Eric
>>
>> [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/app/trunk
>>
>> [2]
>> <web-app>
>>   <context-param>
>>     <param-name>contextConfigLocation</param-name>
>>     <param-value>
>>       /WEB-INF/conf/META-INF/org/apache/james/spring-server.xml
>>     </param-value>
>>   </context-param>
>>   <context-param>
>>      <param-name>contextClass</param-name>
>> <param-value>org.apache.james.container.spring.context.web.JamesServerWebApplicationContext</param-value>
>>    </context-param>
>>    <listener>
>> <listener-class>org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener</listener-class>
>>    </listener>
>> </web-app>
>>

>> [3] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/cli/src/main/java/org/apache/james/cli/ServerCmd.java
>>

>> On 06/17/2012 06:57 AM, Anthony Fryer wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm new to James and think it can do what I want but would like to be sure.
I have a java web application that a user can create an account.  I would like that account
creation process to also crease an email inbox for them (ie. a james email account).   I would
like the james server to be embedded in my java web application as possible.

>>> When my web application starts up, i would need to start james listening on a
port to receive emails.  How is this done programattically?