james-server-user mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: new to james, not sure where to start
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2012 07:01:19 GMT
Hi,

If you build James (svn co [1], mvn package), you already have a war (in
target folder) with needed web.xml that starts james on webapp startup
(see [2]).

This is good for a quick start, but in production env, it's best to have
web container and James server separated.

Whether James is embedded or not, you can access the management
functionalities (user/domain/... crud,...) via JMX, with the
james-server-cli jar (see [3] for how to use ServerProbe).

Thx, Eric

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/app/trunk

[2]
<web-app>
   <context-param>
     <param-value>
       /WEB-INF/conf/META-INF/org/apache/james/spring-server.xml
     </param-value>
   </context-param>
   <context-param>
      <param-name>contextClass</param-name>

<param-value>org.apache.james.container.spring.context.web.JamesServerWebApplicationContext</param-value>
    </context-param>
    <listener>

<listener-class>org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener</listener-class>
    </listener>
</web-app>

[3]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/cli/src/main/java/org/apache/james/cli/ServerCmd.java

On 06/17/2012 06:57 AM, Anthony Fryer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to James and think it can do what I want but would like to be sure.  I have a
java web application that a user can create an account.  I would like that account creation
process to also crease an email inbox for them (ie. a james email account).   I would like
the james server to be embedded in my java web application as possible.

> When my web application starts up, i would need to start james listening on a port to
receive emails.  How is this done programattically?