james-server-user mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: SMTP for user->app notification
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:09:32 GMT
2011/1/18  <cstansbury@gmail.com>:
> I'm the developer of a web-based application and am looking into what it
> would take for me to be able to provide each of my users with their own
> application-specific email address so that they could send email to my site
> that would then reformat the message into something more appropriate (much
> like Posterous allows you to add blog entries via email).
> Is this a "use case" that is common for James, and if not, how easy is it to
> hook into the framework system so that I don't have to poll a database
> constantly (but can instead receive email "events" and react accordingly)?

Yes. I have had this very use case solved by writing a custom mailet
that does an HTTP call to the final website after having parsed the
When interacting with a website I prefer to do this "mail to web"
translation instead of embedding james in the application server and
use simple java calls.

At the most extreme you could write a simple mailet that POST the
whole mimemessage AS-IS to a given use and leave all of the logic on
the web side: this is up to you.