james-server-user mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: remote manager does not respond properly
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:46:39 GMT
2011/1/11 Eric Charles <eric@apache.org>:
> Hi,
>
> You downloaded a fresh snapshot, but the documentation is not so fresh...
> (our fault...)
> The mentioned "remotemanager" has been removed in favor of pure JMX (read
> "Manage via JMX on http://james.apache.org/server/3/manage.html).
> To replace the "remotemanager", a new "cli" (command line interface) which
> invokes the MBeans is being developed.
> In fact, you could already use it with the snapshot you downloaded, but we
> still need to write the scripts to call it.
>
> Waiting on cli, don't hesitate to give a try on jconsole to manage james.

About dealing with JMX remotely and with SSH only access, I also
succesfully used jmxclient in past (not with james, but it shouldn't
matter):
http://crawler.archive.org/cmdline-jmxclient/

Also I bookmarked this one, but never used:
http://wiki.cyclopsgroup.org/jmxterm

Stefano

PS: it is tricky to open jmx access through a firewall, this is the
bigger downside of JMX.