james-server-user mailing list archives

From Shirley Browning <sbrownin...@gmail.com>
Subject How to relay traffic from one JAMES instance to another
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:33:10 GMT
Here's what I'd like to do, just not sure how to achieve it:

Background First:
I have an enterprise customer for whom I am hosting an application on an
instance in the Amazon cloud.  The solution which I am hosting needs to send
and receive email messages, so we've installed JAMES on their instance to be
their SMTP server and have configured the application to use this server.
The customer does not want to use our domain, they want to use theirs.
They've added an entry to their SPF record to include the ip address of the
SMTP server installed on their Amazon instance so that we can send all email
from the JAMES server as user@companyA.com (instead of
user@hostedinstance.com).

We need to move them off of the JAMES server installed on their instance to
a JAMES instance installed somewhere else.  The same rules apply; however,
the customer cannot update their SPF record for another 2 weeks (red
tape....).  We cannot wait 2 weeks.  So to enable us to get around this
temporarily, we'd like to do something like this:

1. Update the application on the hosted instance to use the new JAMES
server.
2. Setup a rule or configure something on JAMES to relay to the SMTP server
installed on the instance whereby allowing the SMTP server on the instance
the ability to send the email.  This way, the email still comes from
user@companyA.com on the IP address that is configured in the SPF record.

So in a nutshell, it would be like this:
1. Enterprise application is configured to use SMTP server "A"
2. When the enterprise application tells SMTP server "A" to send email, it
needs to relay these requests to SMTP server "B"
3. SMTP server "B" will be the sender of all email to end recipients.

Is this possible and if so, how?

Much thanks in advance!
Shirley